The Advantages of Microdiscectomy
As a patient at Biscup Spine, you are placed at the center of our focus. We consider spine surgery as a last resort and thoroughly assess our patient’s conditions before recommending a surgical option.
The microdiscectomy is a frequently recommended procedure because it is fast and effective. Here are some facts about it:
- Usually treats leg pain, numbness, and weakness caused by herniated discs.
- Due to advances in technology, it requires only a small incision and typically no overnight hospitalization.
- Can usually be performed in under an hour.
- Recovery is usually quick, allowing normal activities within weeks.
- 90 to 95 percent success rate.
Most patients experience pain relief immediately or within a few days. There is often some discomfort around the incision in the back, but this normally diminishes within a week to ten days. A mild pain reliever can ease soreness in the meantime.
Quick Recovery Time
We understand that back pain can be debilitating and could prevent you from enjoying the activities you love most. Microdiscectomy is one of the few back procedures that allows you to get back on your feet within a matter of days. Most patients will be able to resume normal activities immediately after the operation, as long as they avoid strenuous physical activity for a month or two.